Skip to content
What is the step-by-step procedure for the Section 8 Program?
- The applicant applies for Section 8 when the waiting list is open.
- The applicant’s name comes to the top of the waiting list.
- The Housing Authority (HA) determines if the applicant is eligible for the phase issued applicant is issued a Voucher and a Request For Tenancy Approval (RTA) form.
- The voucher holder has 90 days to locate suitable housing within the area.
- The voucher holder finds a unit on the private market to rent.
- The property owner/manager of the unit screens the applicant for suitability as tenant (The HA does not screen for tenant suitability.)
- The property owner/manager and the voucher holder complete the RTA form and return it to the HA.
- The HA inspects the unit according to Housing Quality Standards.
- The HA passes and approves the unit or notes needed repair items.
- The HA negotiates rent based on Rent Reasonableness.
- The HA enters into a contract with the property owner/manager of the unit.
- The owner and tenant sign the property owner/manager’s Rental Agreement or Lease.
- The HA receives a copy of rental agreement between the tenant and property owner/manager.
- The HA inspects the unit annually.
- The HA reviews tenant eligibility annually.