About the Village of Spring Valley2018-12-05T14:36:19-05:00

Spring Valley is a suburb of New York City, a village in the towns of Ramapo and Clarkstown in Rockland County, New York, United States. It is located north of Chestnut Ridge, east of Airmont and Monsey, south of Hillcrest, and west of Nanuet. The population was 31,347 at the 2010 census, making it the 2nd most populous community in Rockland County, after New City.

More on Spring Valley2018-12-05T14:45:40-05:00

The Village of Spring Valley is mostly in the Town of Ramapo with a bit sticking into the Town of Clarkstown to the west. The NY State Thruway (I-87) is adjacent to the village. Former names for Spring Valley were Pascack and Pot Cheese Hollow.

About our D.P.W2019-12-19T15:43:54-05:00

Wayne Ballard is the Superintendent of the Department of Public Works. Barry Battle is the Supervisor.

Where can I file a complaint?2019-12-19T15:46:32-05:00

Complaints can be filed with the Clerk’ s office in Village Hall.

Garbage pick up2018-12-05T14:55:37-05:00

The Village code only allows for 5 large parts of garbage, I.e. a bed frame or bed mattress, on a property for pick once every week. Our D.P.W. is not responsible for large piles of garbage. It is up to the resident to comply with village code and remove the garbage.

Code Enforcement2018-12-05T14:59:44-05:00

Code Enforcement aims to preserve and enhance the safety, appearance and economic stability of our community through the diligent enforcement of applicable ordinances and land use regulations. We want to keep our community safe and beautiful. For more information on your responsibility as a resident to keep our village beautiful, follow the links below.

How do I file for a building permit?2018-12-05T15:01:39-05:00

This is what you will need to get a building permit.

If you’re unsure about if you need a permit, follow these points to better understand if you’ll need to get a permit.

Community Centers2018-12-05T15:02:54-05:00

Here are the applications for our various community centers, you will need to file them with the clerk to see availability.

What is Section 8?2019-01-06T08:22:48-05:00

Section 8 is the name for many of HUD’s Rental Assistance programs. The term “Section 8” is used because the federal law, which created the program, is Section 8 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974.

How to Apply2019-01-06T08:22:35-05:00

There is currently a waiting list for rental assistance. To apply for the Sonoma County Housing Authority’s Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Waiting List click here: Application
Applicants will be required to enter all information requested in regard to their living situation, household composition, income, and any preferences for which they qualify.

What does the Section 8 Program do?2019-12-11T17:16:50-05:00

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program assists low-income individuals and families with their rental payments. Under the Section 8 Program, property owners retain the same rights and responsibilities that they have under New York State law. They use their own rental agreement or lease and decide what the term of tenancy will be. The tenant has the same obligations as any tenant under State law. Section 8’s subsidy does not change the normal relationship of property owners or managers to tenants. The main difference is that each month the property owner will receive two payments for the tenant’s rent – one from the tenant, which is about 30% of his or her income, and the balance from the SVHCV.

Who does the Section 8 program assist?2019-01-06T08:24:48-05:00

Participant families include seniors, persons with disabilities, families with young children, and working families who do not earn enough to keep pace with rising rental housing costs.

How does the Section 8 Program work?2019-01-06T08:25:24-05:00

In the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, participants have a limited time to find suitable housing offered by a private owner using a Voucher issued by the Housing Authority (HA). Any housing selected must meet local codes and federal standards called Housing Quality Standards (HQS).
Housing Choice Vouchers give family flexibility to pay more than 30 percent of their income for rent and utilities if they desire. However, families who are new admissions or move to a new unit cannot pay more than 40 percent of their income when they move in.
The subsidy is calculated by using the lower of the Voucher Payment Standard or the gross rent minus the total tenant payment.
All Voucher units must meet a rent reasonableness test, i.e., the rents cannot be higher than similar units in the area. This test is performed on each unit leased and when an owner requests a rent increase.
In the Section 8 Program, families pay their share of the rent directly to the property owner or manager.

What is the step-by-step procedure for the Section 8 Program?2019-01-06T08:41:21-05:00
  • The applicant applies for Section 8 when the waiting list is open.
  • The applicant’s name comes to the top of the waiting list.
  • The Housing Authority (HA) determines if the applicant is eligible for the phase issued applicant is issued a Voucher and a Request For Tenancy Approval (RTA) form.
  • The voucher holder has 90 days to locate suitable housing within the area.
  • The voucher holder finds a unit on the private market to rent.
  • The property owner/manager of the unit screens the applicant for suitability as tenant (The HA does not screen for tenant suitability.)
  • The property owner/manager and the voucher holder complete the RTA form and return it to the HA.
  • The HA inspects the unit according to Housing Quality Standards.
  • The HA passes and approves the unit or notes needed repair items.
  • The HA negotiates rent based on Rent Reasonableness.
  • The HA enters into a contract with the property owner/manager of the unit.
  • The owner and tenant sign the property owner/manager’s Rental Agreement or Lease.
  • The HA receives a copy of rental agreement between the tenant and property owner/manager.
  • The HA inspects the unit annually.
  • The HA reviews tenant eligibility annually.
How much does the tenant pay, and how much does the Housing Authority pay?2019-01-06T08:42:46-05:00

The tenant pays an amount that is between 30% and 40% of their monthly income as their portion of the rent. The Housing Authority pays the balance to the property owner in the form of a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP). In some cases, the tenant may pay more than 30% of their income.

Village Codes2019-01-18T12:20:07-05:00